Tuesday 16 July 2013

adventure (noun)

so whilst looking for a title for this post, i looked up the meaning of adventure, both in the dictionary and then in the thesaurus...

the dictionary:
an exciting or challenging experience...

the thesaurus:
1. a life full of adventures: exploit, escapade, venture, enterprise, undertaking, deed, feat
2. in search of adventure: excitement, danger, interesting times, fun, stimulation



Darlings...... You are quite MAD!  

Every time I hear this I can't help but chuckle! As far as I am concerned..... I, and my wonderful husband are quite normal....

Something that I do believe quite strongly though is that with the advancement ( as most people see it) of society, we as humans are becoming softer and to a degree less able to deal with hardship with the result that what would have been considered a normal day to day activity, now becomes an abnormal over the top adventure of mad proportions! 

I'm by no means saying that long distance adventure sport is a walk in the park.... Because that, it is not! But, I have immense respect for the historical pioneers. They did not have the luxury of carbon fibre equipment, or electronics, or super advanced nutrition! For them, most of the time, survival only happened through true grit, mental perseverance and maybe a bit of luck! And one story that probably shows us this  best is the amazing and inspiring story of Sir Ernest Shackleton, polar explorer extraordinaire! A must read for anyone wanting to learn about true Perseverance and survival!

But enough about books etc, I guess what I am trying to point out is, most people live soft, un-adventurous lives! They have I suppose, forgotten how to live because society and technology have made life.....easy....

I'm not a natural athlete... in fact, I'm so far from being a natural athlete it's scary. I don't even really consider myself an athlete! I just love being outside, and although I do enjoy to sit in the sun (preferably in a nice hammock) with a good book every now and again, I can't do it for too long, as the ants in pants syndrome starts to kick in after a while and I then find myself thinking about the day being wasted and that I actually want to get out there and enjoy it! But it's not always that simple! Work tends to get in the way and then of course I have 'mommy' responsibilities! I am finding it easier to incorporate Daniel into my 'outdoor' adventures and like it or not, he does tend to get dragged around with mommy either in the canoe, or off-road pram.... Which with his increase in size is becoming more challenging with each outing! I find myself regularly In a bit of a catch 22.... I can't wait for him to be big enough to actually ride his bike either with me or ride with me whilst I run, but then also find myself getting sad at the rate at which my baby is growing! Typical woman, never knows what she wants!

With Hanno having slightly more serious race commitments and expectations than me, his training does tend to take first priority, but I do still manage to fit in sessions, though not nearly as many as I would like. My biggest problem is that I tend to think I am GI Jane and that muscle memory or my head will get me through most things! I haven't always been like that though. The more long distance and challenging things you do, the more you think you can do and the more you learn what your mind and body are capable of, not always a good thing as sometimes I bite off more than I am physically prepared for, resulting in a broken body!

This year has definitely been a better one for me on the health and fitness front! Last year was just horrible! It kicked off on the wrong foot and I was plagued the whole year with sinus and bronchial infections resulting that I never actually felt well enough to do any serious sport! But, that is all in the past and so far 2013 has been fantastic, with many amazing adventures!

The main focus for the first half of the year was Expedition Africa, a race I did for the first time in 2011. This year, it was to be held in the majestic Drakensberg, a place which is not only extremely beautiful, but also extremely harsh, and taking place in May, cold was going to be added to the list of challenges! Training build-up started early in the year as did the challenge of trying to put a team together, something which is actually harder than one expects, as to find four fit, healthy, like minded individuals who have the time, finances and most importantly the right mental attitude and whose dynamics would gel.....is hard!

Slowly but surely I managed to assemble a team...and hoped that everyone would get on and all be on the same level mentally and as far as possible, physically too!

Our first big challenge was a training weekend in the Transkei. We were lucky enough to be able to piggy back on a training weekend organized by Hanno's team Captain for their team (Tweet was out due to injury). 

The weather forecast was bleak.....rain, rain and more rain! It didn't disappoint. It start as we arrived at Kei Mouth and only stopped when left Kei Mouth three days later! It was however the best possible preparation weekend we could have asked for! 

The weekend, although tough, was not without its fair share of entertainment! And it all started with our camping at Kei Mouth. Everything was wet and dripping and whilst getting my stuff ready under the Gazebo, a huge crab somehow founds its way into one of my team mates bags! With some help from one of my hiking poles, I eventually managed to get it relocated. Based on the increasing number of crabs, and the amount of water inside our tent, we all decided to go sleep under the veranda roof of the local bowling club, which was right there. Before going to bed I went to find Hanno, who was sleeping under their team Gazebo, to say goodnight. I told him to watch out for the crabs to which he answered, I'm not scared of crabs! When I woke up in the morning, Hanno was now sleeping with us! When I asked him about this during the night relocation, he said with absolute indignation, 'man, I woke in the middle of the night with something crawling on my head! When I put the light on, I saw the biggest friggin crab ever crawling onto my face! Needless to say, I nearly wet my pants!

We started at sunrise with a short paddle up the Kei River (in the rain!) then we 'negotiated' our way across the river, having left our boats at a lodge and up a really steep and already slippery path to a settlement where Tweet was waiting with our bikes, and then mud fun and games began in Earnest! We learnt a few VERY valuable lessons about route choice.... The shortest route on paper, is not always the shortest route time wise and that single track paths through valleys in the Transkei generally are places to avoid....especially when it has been raining solidly for 24 hrs!

The path slowly but surely became little more than a figment of our imagination, with the downward gradient increasing as well as vegetation, we soon found ourselves sliding/crawling through spikey bushes and thick mud in pouring rain and mist, hoping we were in fact traveling in the right direction! After a few river crossings and lots of stopping to orientate the map and peer through the rain and mist, we eventually popped out on top overlooking a series of valleys. We stopped a local girl to verify that we were indeed where I thought we were..... According to her, we were not at all where we thought we were, in fact, according to her, we were miles away from where we thought we were! To me, this was just plain impossible. I refused to believe that I could be that crap at navigating! I told the rest that it was impossible and that we would carry on in the direction I thought we should be going......and a good thing it was because a few minutes later, we popped out right at the checkpoint! This was a huge boost to my confidence and we set off once again in the pouring rain! Once back on a road, our progress was relatively quick and it wasn't long before we had clocked in with Tweet and the others, putting on dry socks (what for I don't know as they were wet within minutes) filled up with food and headed off on what was to be about a 30km hike.  

With light fading, and the rain showing absolutely no sign of letting up, it was going to be a long, cold and interesting night!  The first check point was relatively easy to find. When we were at the check point, looking at the map, deciding which was the best route to follow, and very intoxicated local joined us, breathing enough fumes to knock out an entire rugby team! Eventually however, we managed to loose him and we carried on our way. We had in the mean time spoken to Tweet and been advised not to take the inland route as Hanno and team had done this and struggled immensely through thick forest with paths going in the wrong direction. I think that now might be a food time to add some very important information regarding our 'route!'  You see, normally, a race organizer actually does the entire route himself, physically biking and hiking every km to ensure that all the route choices are actually doable and that the check points are accessible ! Being in the Transkei and having an injury meant that Tweet was not able to do this.... so the route was designed on Google Earth... 

So, after consulting the map, we decided to rather head for the coast than struggle through the dark and through valleys similar to what we had been through during the day and through forests with no roads. After a rather scary and close encounter with some locals en-route to the coast, we eventually arrived at Cebe Mouth.  Our next challenge was a swim across the Cebe River Mouth...something which I had been dreading since our decision to head to the Coast! I Don't do river mouths at the best of times, and flooding river mouths in the Transkei, in the dark even less so! They are so far down on my TO DO list, they don't even feature! But, luckily I was not alone. I very quickly realized that my team mates were just keen to not swim as I was! We decided to stop for an hour or so, get warm and have a bit of a sleep as it was now about 1am. We eventually found an open container (Renovations were on the go at Cebe) with some big window frames and heaps of goat droppings inside. Out came the sleeping bags and space blankets, we stripped off and tried to get some shut eye and it wasn't long before there was a symphony of snoring.... But try as I might, I could not sleep! Having spoken to Tweet before we settled down, it was decided that we would go south to the Jakaranda wreck, some 20km down the coast and meet him there instead of going north to Mazeppa. It was going to take too long for us to get to Mazeppa.

Going south meant lots of river crossings, and with the heavy rain which had now been falling for over 24hrs, all the rivers would be flooding!

It's not so much the water that was making me so scared, I love water and I'm a good swimmer, it's what is in the water! The Transkei coast is notorious for sharks, and river mouths tend to be a favorite hangout for sharks, and well, a flooding river mouth is like a Cordon Bleur extravaganza for sharks! (In case you hadn't noticed I'm terrified of sharks!)

After 2hrs of hoping the rain would at least let up a bit, we got dressed in our remaining dry clothes and headed out into the dark and the rain! The going was easy, albeit it wet and muddy and we were treated to the most beautiful stormy sunrise along the coast. We hit the first big river crossing just after sunrise. There was no option but to swim! I told the rest that they had two options, they could either swim across with their only semi- dry clothes on and be soaking wet and salty for the rest of the day, or they could strip off, put their semi-dry clothes into their dry bag and have dry-ish clothes for the rest of the day (bearing in mind it was raining of course!) I knew which option I was going to take so with clothes in my drybag and nothing on but my birthday suite, I proceeded to break the world record for a 100m swim across a flooding Transkei river mouth with a backpack! Our swim happened to be right at the Wavecrest holiday resort, and being Easter weekend, the resort was rather busy. But being early and really horrid weather also meant that most people were still tucked warmly under their duvets.... Well most that is. Upon arrival on the lovely lawn at Wavecrest, in my birthday suite, we were greeted by an open curtain and a row of little faces... Peering at these clearly mad adults swimming naked across a flooding river in the pouring rain. Then they disappeared to be replaced by the mothers face, she waved excitedly and disappeared to be replaced by dad.... Dad didn't seem to be as enthusiastic about us as the mom.... But then again Janine and I were at this stage almost dressed and all the dad got was the two white bottoms of Ico and Marco!

When walking out through Wavecrest I spot a car with a CX registration.... a person can never hide!!!

After another slightly longer swim where I once again broke the backpack swimming record, we eventually reached the Jakaranda. To our amazement, we heard that Hanno and co had not yet arrived. When they eventually arrived, It seemed they had had a nightmare of a hike the night before to get to Mazeppa and when they eventually arrived, had been through even worse on the bike to get to Jakaranda. I didn't want to hear of their death defying stories! I was just glad they were all safe!

We set off on our bikes and Hanno and team set off on foot. The roads had now deteriorated so much, that it was like riding in glue. When we got to the transition, Tweet wasn't there and after a phone call we discovered that the axle had broken on the trailer. We trudged back to the main road to meet him there.  Once the bikes were loaded onto the already very dodged looking trailer, they set off to see if they could get the trailer sorted out and we set off back towards the river. 

We certainly made for an entertaining site. Me with raw feet from all the mud in my cycle shoes on all the hike- a - bike sections, Ico with severe Chaffe from mud in his cycle shorts and hiking in them!

Walking down the steep grassy slope to the river, one could hear water rushing everywhere. The Kei River below us had risen considerably and was now a great big swirling brown mass. The path down was no longer a path but now a river in its own right! My main concern was the valley below where the path went. Bundu bashing if the valley floor was flooded was not really an option! We eventually made it to the bottom, after much slipping and sliding and now it was our final swim accross. The river is about 100m and I was terrified of swimming accross! But, it had to be done! This time, knowing that we only a few km from the finish, we kept our kit on and waded into the water. Surprisingly it was still shallow enough for us walk accross! Ico chose to go accross where the river came down through the valley..... I was staying as far away from 'rich' water as possible for fear of whatever opportunistic water creature might be lurking there! When we were nearly accross Janine said for the first time, perfect conditions for Sharks everyone! I just laughed and said asked why they thought I had been sprinting accross all the rivers?

Once safely on the other side, we resembled mud men as we were brown from head to toe! The mud in the shallows just about swallowed us and at one point Marco, who is incredibly tall, all but disappeared in the mud when he slipped!

The wind had picked up and the paddle back was hard! But eventually, wind swept, salty and a little less muddy, we arrived to much cheering and smiles at the slip way at the mouth 34 hrs after our departure the previous day!

It was the perfect training weekend and a great test and learning curve for us all! 

Thanks Tweet, Bruce and Emil for doing the backup, without you guys, it would not have been possible!

Thanks to my team for sticking it out and the laughs along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment